The Nomangue Restaurant, located in Barra da Tijuca-Rio de Janeiro, is an excellent place for those who want to eat seafood. Everytime I go there I feel that I’m in the Northeast. A good dish to eat in family is shrimp in pumpkin: rich and cheap.
It is a typical dish from the Northeast. The pumpkin shrimp was born in the decade of 1940 when the owner of a restaurant found a pumpkin floating in the beach of Enseada and took it to the kitchen.
When he opened the pumpkin noticed that there were many shrimp inside and only had to add some spices to create the traditional recipe caiçara. Over time, the ingredients have been improved and nowadays is the dish par excellence in restaurants specializing in fish and seafood, such as the Nomangue restaurant.
The Nomangue restaurant has everything you’d find in the best restaurants in the Northeast. Also it has the best caipivodka da Barra, wonderful cakes and delicious mini muquecas.
It is worth to visit it. Address: Estr. Cel. Pedro Correia, 122. Barra da Tijuca. Rio de Janeiro.
The pumpkin shrimp recipe
And for the curious who want to know the secrets of this delicious dish we share the recipe…
- 1 kg of medium shrimp
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- 5 tomatoes without seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can of cream
- 300 grams of clotted cream
- 1 pumpkin
How to prepare
- Remove the lid of the pumpkin and seeds
- Wash and wrap in aluminum foil
- Cook in the oven and bake for 45 minutes
- In a skillet, heat the oil and fry the garlic and onion, add the shrimp and cook for 5 minutes
- Add the chopped tomatoes, pepper, salt and 3 tablespoons of ketchup (optional)
- Add the cream and mix well
- Finally, add the cream cheese
- The clotted cream can be extended inside the pumpkin and then simply pour the cream of shrimp in it
Did you like it? Book here and enjoy the city!